Tinderbox empowers the individual through play. We use play to liberate the imagination, to discover, explore and realise creative potential and to create new performances that challenge, provoke and inspire.
Our ambition is for art to be at the centre of our society and for everyone to have the opportunity to engage with their own creativity and to be a force for positive change in the world.
- Tinderbox empowers the individual and society through play
- Tinderbox produces dynamic theatre productions for audiences in Belfast, Northern Ireland and beyond.
- Tinderbox provides creative training programmes to inspire, nurture and support emerging artists and participants.
- Tinderbox ignites creative potential through the IN8 participatory programme.
Tinderbox Theatre Company is one of the most established companies in Northern Ireland. For over thirty years, Tinderbox has championed new writing, producing world-class performances from Northern Irish writers to critical and international acclaim.
Our Ultimate Goal
- We seek to liberate the imagination and create theatre that celebrates humanity.
- We aim to establish play as a form of individual empowerment and provide a creative space for everyone to re-connect with their innate playfulness without restriction, limitations or prejudice.
- We aim to return theatre performance to its original form; a sharing of our stories to unite and celebrate our communities.
- We aim to create inventive and imaginative theatre performance to entertain, inspire and provoke our artists, participants and audiences.
Since 2016, Tinderbox have explored the fundamental nature of performance practice; questioning structure and form, challenging conventional narrative and posing an alternative model of creative engagement with our current arts ecology. We believe that access to the imagination without restriction is the key to dynamic practice and performance and we have created multiple programmes such as Take Away Theatre, Play Machine, Engine and Fuel for everyone to access their unique creative individuality.
The 2020/2021 programme is the first year of our new 3 year artistic programme called Home, an innovative and ambitious programme of multi-collaborative performances, specialist training initiatives and the creation of an Epic Theatre Performance with 20 Ensemble performers in 2023.
- 2020-21 will focus on the foundation of play and artistic creation,
- 2021-22 will create the architecture for a multi-collaborative production
- 2023 will see the ambitious site-specific performance Home with 20 performers as chorus.
We are proud members of IETM and TheatreNI: