The Playground strategy 2021-2024 is the result of reflection and practice incurred by the devastation and impact left by the Covid-19 Pandemic. We feel it is absolutely essential to create an arts ecology and practice that does not fear change but resolutely places change as the central component to all that we do in the future.
- We seek to embrace continuous change by creating ambitious theatre and artistic projects that are transformative in style, form, space and content.
- We want artistic process to be celebrated and given equal status as a method for working as a thriving arts organisation in Northern Ireland. Product is the exciting consequence, but practice is the beating heart of what we do. Both are intrinsically linked.
- We want the transformative effect of creativity to be a recognised and valuable approach to creating a better self and world.
The Tinderbox Approach
We will achieve our Playground Strategy through our unique three-strand approach to creating work:
- Play: We engage in play to explore who we are as human beings and artists. Play opens up the space to create new ideas through to performance.
- Creativity in Motion: Creativity in Motion celebrates the artistic process of play by inviting the artist to continually question and explore their unique process. The idea, the process and the performance are continually changing. Likewise the performance, the audience and the landscape are continually changing. We wish to celebrate this continuous change.
- Off the Grid: Off the Grid transforms the creative space whilst also placing responsibility on the artists to care for the Environment. Off the Grid seeks to find the communal intimacy of story-telling between performer and audience.
Through this approach, we are constantly in a creative flux; evolving ideas and forms, changing perspectives and creating new narrative.