We are delighted to introduce our new programme Playground, which will fundamentally combine our artistic concepts of Play, Creativity in Motion and Off the Grid for the performer, process and space.
Artists will be invited to discover creative play/practice in various locations in Northern Ireland. We will facilitate workshops in outdoor locations such as forests, mountains, the coast and urban locations such as cities, industrial sites, factories and warehouses to study the architecture and theatricality in each space. This method will provide artists the opportunity to focus on creativity by the space and movement rather than intellectual process. In each location we will facilitate a creative workshop and propose new narratives for performance.
Playground 2021 will encompass 3 week intensives in 3 different locations:
- 1st Intensive – Urban Landscape – 6 days creating performance in Urban Environments. Artists will visit industrialised spaces to explore the movement and architecture of the urban environment. [23rd to 28th August 2021, The Drying Room at Conway Mill, Belfast]
- 2nd Intensive – Natural Landscape – 6 days creating performance in the Natural Environment using the elements and story-telling [Date and Location TBC].
- 3rd Intensive – For stage 3, artists will be invited to attend a week long residency to create a performance for the Playground showcase in early 2022 [Date and Location TBC].
Playground will be delivered by Tinderbox’s Artistic Director Patrick J O’Reilly whose extensive training at the International school of Jacque Le Coq in Paris and career as a performer, director and writer will nurture and inspire the future generation of Northern Ireland’s performers, writers and theatre makers.
- Movement and dynamics in space
- Physical theatre practice (outdoor performance)
- Devising technique/Creating theatre performance
- Elements/ Object Manipulation
- New writing
- Mask exploration
Artists will also receive:
- Mentorship with Tinderbox Theatre Company.
- Open invitation to attend Tinderbox projects.
- Opportunities for employment with the Creativity in Motion programme.
- Opportunities for employment in facilitation work with Tinderbox.
Applications for PLAYGROUND Intensive 1 [Urban Environments, 23rd-28th August 2021] are now closed.
We will be accepting applications for PLAYGROUND Intensive 2 in late-2021.
Here’s what some of our previous Playgrounders had to say about their experience:
“Dynamic, energising, challenging and fulfilling. A safe space to experiment as part of a rich ensemble and connect as an artist with other interesting artists from different backgrounds.”
“I feel that the Playground week did a lot for me in removing blocks that I put up artistically.”
“Playground has shown me the value of using a space and bodies to inspire work.”
“The whole process got me out of my head creatively, which is a huge thing for me this year. It was also an amazing way to collaborate and connect with others.”